Staff Positions Open
Conexiones Youth and Young Adult Program Coordinator
30 hours per week, Full-time — health care insurance included PAY: $18.16 - $21.16 Per hour based on experience
The Diversity Center LOCATION: Watsonville and Santa Cruz
The Diversity Center is building an equitable community where LGBTQ+ people thrive.
For 30 years, people just like you, have come together at The Diversity Center to support each other in creating authentic lives. Last year alone, thousands of people accessed our many affirming programs, trainings, and outreach activities.
The Diversity Center works to build a vibrant diverse community, promote health and well-being, and advance social justice for the LGBTQ+ community.
Our nine paid staff members and more than 300 community volunteers work together to deliver our Youth Program, Conexiones (a program for Latinx youth and young adults in the Pajaro Valley), our Transgender Program, our 60Plus Program (for seniors), our Resource Center and Trainings.
We are looking for a Conexiones Youth and Young Adult Program Coordinator to join our team.
The Conexiones Youth and Young Adult Coordinator creates programming and provides resources and referrals in Santa Cruz county with a focus on supporting LGBTQ+ Latinx youth and young adults (YYA) who are 12 - 25 years old in Watsonville.
The Conexiones Youth and Young Adult Coordinator is responsible for working in partnership with the Youth Program Coordinator to run our vibrant county-wide youth program for Latinx LGBTQ+ youth and their allies, with a focus on programming in Watsonville.
Through support groups, workshops, political and social events, Conexiones creates a network where YYA of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds can build community and stay connected.
● Facilitate weekly Friday afternoon LGBTQ+ youth group in Watsonville and Sat. youth groups in Santa Cruz.
● Provide support to Gender & Sexuality Alliances (GSAs) throughout the county, with a focus on Middle, High Schools, and Cabrillo College in Watsonville
● Organize events for LGBTQ+ youth in collaboration with Youth Program Coordinator
● Coordinate monthly meet-ups for Latinx LGBTQ+ young adults that focus on leadership, community organizing, and educational workshops
● Conduct regular outreach for The Diversity Center’s programs to Latinx LGBTQ+ YYA
● Provide mentorship and support to local Latinx LGBTQ+ YYA leaders and their allies
● Make referrals regarding immediate needs of LGBTQ+ YYA
● Supervise YYA interns and volunteers
● Organize two larger bilingual events each year for the YYA and Adult LGBTQ+ Latinx community in Watsonville
● Develop and maintain strong working relationships with community partners and stakeholders throughout Santa Cruz County, with a focus in Watsonville
● Assist the Training and Education Department with bilingual presentations and curriculum building when needed (professional development will be provided)
● Actively seek and participate in Watsonville community events
● Manage and update program-related social media
● Complete program administrative duties (data collection, grant reporting, progress reporting, etc)
● Attend staff meetings, supervision meetings, and other meetings as assigned
● Attend and work at key Diversity Center events including our annual Gala, holiday parties, local and regional Pride parades, conferences, and fundraisers
● Must be available to work Friday and Saturdays afternoons for our youth group meetings
● A commitment to empowering Latinx LGBTQ+ YYA
● Bilingual, with proficiency in speaking, reading and writing in Spanish
● Works well independently and collaboratively with a team
● Access to a car and current driver’s license to complete GSA visits and attend events around the county
● Excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgement
● Strong oral and written communication skills
● Passing livescan (fingerprint) clearance PREFERRED
● Related experience providing direct service in a youth development setting
● Experience facilitating workshops/meetings
● Experience with race/diversity/equity issues
● Experience with social networking sites
● Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications
● Has a positive attitude
● Time management and organizational skills
The ideal candidate will have the majority of the skills outlined in this job description. However, if you fit most, but not all, of the skills, please apply anyway. In any case, please be direct in your cover letter about your strengths, interests, and “fit” for this position.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Fri. July 12. Please include Conexiones Youth and Young Adult Program Coordinator Application in your subject line. Please also include three references (professional or volunteer work) in your application. Only Word Documents or PDF files will be accepted.
Questions? If you have questions about the position, you can email Program Director, Emilio Barajas at email@example.com or by phone at 831-425-5422 x 127.
MSW Interns for research, statistics, interviews and collaborative group meetings for the LGBTQ+ community. Click here for more details.
Our biggest and boldest fundraiser of the year! Sign Up Here to Volunteer at the Gala.
Gala Silent Auction Chair Person
The Silent Auction Chair Person is responsible for working closely with the Development Director of The Diversity Center, the silent auction team, The Diversity Center Board and the wider community to identify and produce donations for the Silent Auction for The Diversity Center’s annual gala. The Chair Person also coordinates the actual event on October 12, 2019. The Silent Auction Chair Person will be responsible for helping to manage a team to obtain approximately 60 items for the Gala auction, for the Gala raffle and for our holiday party. Click here for more information.
South County Community Outreach Intern
Are you great at making friends, networking, and building relationships? We are looking for a prominent force of social outreach and representation in our new Community Outreach Intern to show the world what we’re up to. Keep the public updated on all our projects through tabling at the Watsonville Farmers Market and flyering around South County for upcoming events and opportunities. Click here for more information.
Our hosts play a key part of daily life at the Diversity Center. Greeting visitors, answering phones and much more are part of a 3-hour Host shift at the Diversity Center. Click here for more details.
Are you great at making friends, networking, and building relationships? We are looking for a prominent force of social outreach and representation in our new Community Outreach Intern to show the world what we’re up to. Keep the public updated on all our projects through tabling and flyering! Click here for more details.
Community Outreach Intern
We need your office skills! The Diversity Center has a number of great opportunities for administrative support staff. Join us 3+ hours a week and let's work together. Click here for more details.
Join one of our speaker panels and share your stories with the community. Click here for more details.
Spanish Language Website Updates
Do you want to have an impact in accessing services for the LGBTQ+ Latinx Community? Are you familiar with Spanish and website updating? If you've got extra time, please contact us to help. We are adding a website in Español and would like assistance to input information (the translation is completed) for a mirror website. This means a lot to us for accessibility of the Latinx community- and we could really use your help! Click here for more details.